Implant Dentures – St. Louis, MO
Functional, Permanent, Longer-Lasting Prosthetics
Are you looking for a tooth replacement solution that is permanent and lasts decades not years? If so, implant dentures in St. Louis can help you achieve the smile goals you desire. With the help of Dr. Moreland and his team, you can prepare to enjoy a superior prosthetic that doesn’t slip, remains stable and functional, and works to improve your oral health. Traditional dentures may be able to replicate the look of a complete smile, but their inability to prevent facial collapse and frequent upkeep make them a less desirable option. Contact us today to schedule an appointment and learn more about implant dentures and why they might just be the right solution for you!
What Are Implant Dentures?
Implant dentures are a superior form of tooth replacement. Unlike dentures that only sit on top of the gums and require denture adhesive to help hold them in place, these permanent prosthetics mimic the natural tooth structure and fuse with the jawbone through a process known as osseointegration. Once the foundation for your smile is ready after 3-6 months of healing, you are ready to receive your finalized denture that will either be fixed or removable. It is during your initial consultation with Dr. Moreland that you will determine the right restoration for you.
Fixed/Permanent Implant Dentures
Using between 4 and 8 dental implants in St. Louis, a fixed denture or hybrid prosthesis as it’s known can be secured into place. Requiring an ample amount of jawbone density, this denture cannot be removed by anyone other than your skilled and talented dentist. However, it is easy to clean and maintain.
Removable Implant Dentures
Requiring less jawbone density, a removable or “Snap-On denture” only needs between 2 and 5 dental implants. Using a bar- or ball-retained device to hold your denture in place, you can easily remove it at night when preparing to clean it before bedtime.
The Implant Denture Process
Every patient who receives dental implants can expect a slightly different experience however, the same steps must be followed for everyone who pursues these permanent prosthetics. Although timelier than if you were to receive traditional dentures, they offer greater benefits and results, making them worth the timely and costly investment:
- The first step is to schedule an initial consultation with your implant dentist in St. Louis. We will determine if you need preliminary treatment (i.e., bone grafting, sinus lift, periodontal therapy) or if you can move on to dental implant surgery right away.
- Your dental implant surgery will occur in-house and include the administering of local anesthesia to numb your mouth. After making multiple incisions in your gums, we will place each implant carefully to ensure maximum support. We’ll then close the gum tissue and place protective healing caps over each surgical site.
- You’ll return home to spend 3-6 months recovering and allowing osseointegration to take place. Once the bone and implant fuse, you’ll return to have your metal abutments put into place, as they will connect the implant with the customized denture.
- The final step is to have your custom-made denture secured, so you can begin to enjoy your new and improved smile.
Am I a Candidate for Implant Dentures?
Most adults with tooth loss are capable of receiving dental implants. However, during your initial consultation, Dr. Moreland will consider three important factors that will determine if you need preliminary treatment:
- Your oral health must be in good condition, and you must not show any signs of periodontal disease.
- Your overall health must be good enough that we are comfortable with you undergoing minor oral surgery.
- You will need enough jawbone density to adequately support your new implants and denture. Otherwise, we’ll be required to perform a bone graft or sinus lift, especially if you want a fixed denture.
Benefits of Combining Dentures & Dental Implants
Combining dentures and dental implants have become a successful and worthwhile advancement in dentistry. With millions of people living with these permanent prosthetics, the benefits far outweigh any of the potential negatives. As you contemplate how you wish to replace your missing teeth, consider these advantages to implant dentures:
- A 95% success rate when placed by a skilled implant dentist
- The ability to eat the foods you love because of a greater bite force and chewing power
- Greater jawbone stimulation because of the implant’s ability to mimic the natural tooth root
- Greater comfort and a more natural-looking appearance
- The opportunity to embrace a better quality of life
- Minimized risk for systemic issues often caused by tooth loss